The bottom line: Greater cooperation (+Video)
Russia and Cuba signed 10 agreements on Friday (July 11) that are sure to bring the two countries closer together. As summarized by Granma and further summarized by Progreso Weekly, they are the following:
1. Cooperation in the international security of information. (Signed by Foreign Ministers Sergei Lavrov and Bruno Rodríguez.)
Toward the creation of legal and organizational bases that guarantee the international security of information.
2. On the use of outer space for peaceful purposes. (Signed by Foreign Ministers Sergei Lavrov and Bruno Rodríguez.)
Both parties will make every effort to keep outer space from becoming a stage for military confrontation. Neither party will be the first to deploy weapons of any type in outer space.
3. Cooperation between the ministries of Culture of Cuba and Russia. (Signed by Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov and Culture Minister Julián González Toledo.)
To establish and expand bilateral cooperation in culture and the arts and to foster exchanges in said activities, e.g., theater, music, dance, visual arts, sculpture, museums, libraries, cinema. To foster direct contact between organizations and representatives of said activities.
4. Cooperation in the field of industry. (Signed by Denis Manturov, Minister of Industry and Commerce, and Salvador Pardo Cruz, Minister of Industries.)
A memorandum of understanding intended to promote the strengthening of cooperation in the field of industry.
5. Cooperation in the sector of health care for [Cuba’s] male population. (Signed by Veronika Svortsova, Minister of Health, and Roberto Morales Ojeda, Minister of Public Health.)
A memorandum of understanding to establish cooperation between the institutions of health and medicine of both parties, on the basis of mutual and equal benefit. Cooperation in the treatment and prevention of urological disease and diseases involving the male reproductive system.
6. Cooperation in disaster control and the training of fire rescue teams. (Signed by Vladimir Puchkov, Minister of Civil Defense and Emergency Management, and Gen. Abelardo Colomé Ibarra, Minister of the Interior.)
A memorandum of understanding on the development of a regional center for the training of a Cuban-Russian Fire Rescue Team that will serve the member countries of the CELAC [Community of Latin American and Caribbean States].
7. Cooperation in the increase of the recovery coefficient in “ripe” oil fields. (Signed by Igor Sechin, CEO of the Rosneft Oil Company, and Juan Torres Naranjo, director general of Union Cuba Petroleum-CUPET.)
An agreement to study the conditions for the development and exploitation of oil fields and oil wells in Cuban territory; to optimize extraction processes; to increase the efficiency of the exploitation of the bottom of wells; to utilize geological-technical measures to increase the coefficient of recovery of oil from the layers.
8. The construction of four units of power generation. (Signed by Boris Kovalchuk, chairman of the board of Inter-RAO, and Liván Arronte Cruz, director general of Unión Eléctrica.)
A memorandum of understanding for the construction of four units of power generation (200 Mw each) in Cuba.
9. Cooperation in the production and use of LED luminaries. (Signed by Boris Kovalchuk, chairman of the board of Inter-RAO, and Vicente de la O Levis, director general of the Electronics Group of the Ministry of Industries.)
A memorandum of understanding on cooperation in the production and application of LED luminaires.
10. Cooperation in hydro-electric power. (Signed by Yevgeny Dod, chairman of the board of RusHydro, and Liván Arronte Cruz, director general of Unión Eléctrica.)
A memorandum of understanding to establish the basic principles for cooperation between the parties. Makes plans for the modernization and reconstruction of the existing installations of hydro-electric power and the construction of new ones.